Unfortunately, it is a regular event to see a news story about a roofing company swindling a homeowner. Before you make any commitment to a roofing contractor all homebuyers should do their research because if the deal sounds too good to be true – it probably is. The IRCA Membership exists to provide fair, safe and ethical operation of roofing businesses in the state of Iowa. If you are considering hiring a contractor outside of our membership please consider these points before signing the dotted line:
- Be suspicious of any contractor who knocks on your door unannounced
- Never hand someone full payment or a full insurance check before work begins
- Check the contractors Better Business Bureau report
- Check for an Angie’s List report
- Ask for references from real homeowners in your area and then call them.
- Get a signed contract, stating what they will do, final cost, and when the work will be done.